Thursday, August 19, 2010

An entirely enjoyable afternoon

First off, I met a family friend (my mom's friend's husband, Jerome) for lunch today - we've got together before to talk about Paris and he's here again (good timing!) He's done basically the same thing I'm doing - four months around fall time in Paris - and is also super nice and knowledgeable. It was so interesting to hear some Parisian history (he knows a lot!) and get some insider tips. We stopped at a cafe around my apartment and had a delicious ham and cheese omelette with my first French coffee! It was a very nice introduction to the cafe scene in Paris (Thanks, Jerome!)

After lunch, I really wanted to go see the YSL exhibit, but the line was unbelievably long! I waited about 5 minutes in seriously intense heat and gave up. (Although I'm certainly not giving up on seeing it, I'm just going first thing tomorrow to avoid the line!) Instead, I went for a walk down the Champs Elysees. I went into a few stores but didn't get anything because I'm here for awhile - there's no pressure on anything I do and I'm totally appreciating it! I walked back through the Tuileries and the Louvre, took pictures of some flowers and buildings, and drank a lemonade.

... It seemed more epic at the time but it was generally just a relaxed, beautiful afternoon. Maybe it seemed that way because of the heat, or maybe I just need to start working on my walking stamina!

I came home, cooled down, had some amazing garlic pasta with butter and parmesan (to make up for my walk, obviously), and then went to read my book at a nearby garden. (Thanks for the book, Lesley! I'm loving it so far! Its called The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery, and I definitely recommend it to anyone else who needs an interesting/somewhat strange/insightful read.)

Here's some pictures from today:

The Champs Elysees and Tuileries gardens





Around the Louvre








I found an old lamp post with my initial on it - I don't know why its there, but it sure is pretty...


2 comments:

  1. I'm really enjoying reading all about your adventures Linds. Can't wait to get there and see some of the sights with you.

    Love Dad (Norm)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pictures are STUNNING!! They are becoming my desktop :)

    ReplyDelete