Friday, August 20, 2010

YVES!

I prayed to the fashion gods today at the Yves Saint Laurent exhibit at the Petit Palais. It was amazing, to say the very least.

I love fashion anyway, and appreciate YSL in particular, but this exhibit was beyond any expectation I had. It displayed over 300 pieces from over four decades and was laid out in such an accessible way (besides being shoulder to shoulder with other style enthusiasts - it was busy!) From his days at Dior to his last chiffon dresses, everything seemed still relevant and artful. Women are still impacted by his designs - trapeze silhouettes, menswear as womenswear, and different cultural and artistic inspirations. The clothes, from beginning to end, are still wearable (or, at least, I would wear them!)

This is due, along with creative genius, to flawless technique. There was not a single sequin out of place, and I looked very closely. In such well-made clothes every fabric, every seam, every embellishment has purpose. It was incredible to see the couture pieces so close - an entire room had ball gowns lined up on different tiers, and another had pieces that were inspired by specific artists. My favorite was an embroidered jacket that imitated Van Gogh’s Irises - it was beautiful.

Anyway, I could go on (and might if I go for a repeat visit), but I need to go to bed (likely to dream of le smoking jackets, pink satin bows, and the heart brooch). The exhibit was a no-camera zone, so all I have are the memories and the catalogue - but I did take some pictures in and around the Petit Palais:






No comments:

Post a Comment