Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Paris at Night, Gardens by Day, and Things In Between

So, first of all, I know about the travel warnings in Europe due to terrorism, but I’m not really that concerned. Well, I’m just not going to change my plans because of them. Its definitely a weird feeling, but what am I suppose to do? I’m generally ‘extra vigilant’ about my personal safety anyway, and I have a pretty effective sketch-meter, so I’m sure I’ll be fine - no need to worry! I’ve been enjoying my time here so much and don’t intend to stop having fun anytime soon, but I promise to keep being careful and aware of everything (right, Mom and Dad?!)

Anyway, on Saturday I tried to make the most of Nuit Blanche, but my morning-person tendency and lack of interest in contemporary art cut it short. I feel kind of creatively stunted or something, but I just can’t bring myself to really enjoy contemporary art, particularly installations. I appreciate the general intention of presenting certain ideas, but art (for me) is about the execution and final product. I think the message gets lost when you have to think more about the context in which it exists rather than the actual piece. (And its extra frustrating when people say that’s the whole point.) I have seen some amazing contemporary exhibitions before where the artistic technique was dynamic and well developed, but I didn’t quite see that on Saturday.

One installation was on the facade of the City Hall and said ‘love difference’ in a bunch of different languages in neon signs, and another was called ‘fireflies’ and basically looked like strings of mini Christmas lights. I really wanted to go to the Louvre, but it seemed like it wasn’t open, so I just walked around outside of it. The buildings are beautiful at night! Notre Dame was open late and it was amazing to see the stained glass lit from within. I was amazed at how many people were out - the entire square in front of Notre Dame was crowded and the line to get in was the longest I’ve ever seen. It was definitely interesting to be able to take part in the Nuit Blanche events, but I honestly had higher hopes. Although, I’m learning that the best experiences to be had in Paris are the ones you don’t expect.

Sunday was the first nice, warm, sunny day in a while. I walked to Jardin des Plantes and it was amazing! Since I’m basically in love with anything flower related, this place was a dream. There wasn’t a lot of grass like normal parks, instead it was just rows and rows of plants, mostly flowering plants. Even though its not the most prime time in the gardening season the dahlias were in full bloom, along with some roses and tropical flowers. There were a ton of flowers I’ve never seen before but all were conveniently labeled. The Paris zoo is located within the park but, being a Sunday afternoon, the line up was too long so I didn’t go. I still saw some super cute Bambi-like deer and kangaroos. There was also a mini forest with huge evergreen trees and ferns, and a really steep path up to an incredible gazebo. Its such an unexpected sanctuary pretty close to the center of the city, and definitely a new favorite spot.

The Jardin des Plantes is also directly across the street from the main Mosque in Paris, which has its own tea room. There are different courtyards with tiles on every surface, trees with windy trunks, and little birds vying for the leftover crumbs. The server was super cute (he reminded me of the butler in Mister Deeds) and took a special liking to me, so he brought me a special mint tea. It was just sweetened and with a ton of fresh mint, and it was delicious. They also had a lot of pastries that looked good but I skipped them (definitely a first). There was a shop in the back of the tea room filled with amazing things. There were hammered metal lamps, slippers, engraved decorative plates, and a ton of ceramics. I bought two blue pots that really have no purpose but to be pretty, and I think some purple or white orchids will look especially good in them.

I had class on Monday and Tuesday, and had some long overdue Skype dates with friends and family. I talked to my parents in Calgary, Karis in Victoria and Angelica, who teaches English in South Korea, and obviously I talk to Matt everyday - Its so crazy how easy it is to communicate with people all over the world. Angelica and I made (very tentative) plans to do some traveling around Asia next spring, which I’m super excited about. Obviously some logistics have to be worked out, but it feels really good to be able to think about these things without having any previous commitments. And I’m super lucky to have encouraging parents and an understanding boyfriend! So, we’ll see what happens!

And, speaking of my boyfriend - I officially have the best one in the world. Matt sent me the cutest care package that I picked up yesterday (and he’ll be so embarrassed I mentioned it!) I went to Le Fumoir, had a cafe creme and opened it - such a perfect late afternoon surprise!

I also came across the preview of Maison Martin Margiela in a courtyard by the Palais Royale as I took cover from the rain, except it was the men’s collection and I’m not a huge fan of menswear. It was still cool to see, and there were really interesting people to watch. One of my favorite things about Paris is the culture of people-watching. I’m pretty sure people expect you to look at them so its totally acceptable, and very few things are more interesting to me than people watching.

Anyway, I need to start my day! Its the last day of Fashion Week, so I’m putting my reservations about the whole fashion scene aside and am going to see what the Hermes and Paul and Joe shows are like. They’re kind of close to the Jardin des Plantes so I’ll probably go there first. Its also the first day of the Harvest Festival in Monmartre and apparently there will be fireworks by the Sacre Coeur tonight!

Pictures from Nuit Blanche... basically just Louvre at night, and Notre Dame









Obviously I took a million pictures of flowers at the Jardin des Plantes...









I think this is the natural history museum but its also in the Jardin des Plants, along with the gazebo at the top of the forest hill.




These are animals from the zoo. So random but hilarious - I was just looking at the deer, one of them came right up to the fence, stared at me and went to the bathroom for like five minutes... I'm not entirely sure what his point was, but he was super cute.




At the mosque...






Le Fumoir...

No comments:

Post a Comment