Friday, October 22, 2010

Shoe Repair, AllSaints and Contemporary Art

So I had a pretty exciting day and took a ton of pictures, but I don’t really feel like writing about it. I’m just going to post them and make comments...

I went to the first ever Christian Louboutin store to drop off my shoe to be fixed, and I think I’ve unearthed a true Parisian gem - There’s an amazing shoe repair shop right next door.

I was more impressed with this space than the Louboutin store itself! It feels like walking into a traditional French atelier (because it is!) where you can admire expert craftsmanship. Its also nice to think that all the shoes have loving owners who are willing to fix them. All of the broken shoes are lined up just waiting for their turn - like a shoe hospital. Mine will get its turn in three weeks - definitely not in time for tomorrow’s night out, but so worth it.

The store is obviously Louboutin-focused considering they’re neighbours and judging by all the red soles, but I’m pretty sure its open to anyone. And that ‘anyone’ has included Audrey Hepburn and Lauren Bacall! Seriously!








There were some other stores in the same covered pedestrian street that were really cool. Mostly art galleries, but also a restaurant and a make-up store (By Terry - i.e. the one who invented YSL Touche Eclat, but its totally overrated in my opinion) and an amazing furniture store. I'm in love with this light fixture:


Here are some pictures of the Louboutin store windows



A few blocks down from here is the AllSaints store - a new favorite thanks to the recommendation of my boyfriend's sister, Claire. I'd heard about them before but didn't pay much attention because they're mostly known for their leather, but it turns out they have amazing printed silk draped dresses and incredible shoes and jewelry. I didn't get anything because I was in love with everything, but I have a feeling I'll go back before I leave. They didn't let me take pictures inside, but here's the outside at least (notice the tan wedges with the cutout - I want them)




After this visit I took the metro to the 16th arrondissement to see the ultimate of designer consignment. On Rue Pompe there's a series of stores under the name Reciproque. Its pretty much a dumping ground for wealthy Parisians, but their hand-me-downs put most wardrobes to shame. There were never before worn YSL Tributes, a monogrammed Birkin (if only my last name started with an H!), and an emerald green tweed Chanel dress with gold buttons. Another huge plus is that it doesn't smell like most consignment stores, which is the primary reason I don't go. I was too busy browsing to take any pictures, but I might be back.

I walked down Rue Victor Hugo to the Arc de Triomphe and then walked up the Champs Elysees and down some side streets. I stopped at the Disney store to look for a Halloween costume, but they didn't have any! I'm thinking about being a dalmatian because I think Cruella DeVille will be at Disneyland on Halloween and that would be too good of a photo op to miss...

I went to the Grand Palais for the International Fair of Contemporary Art. I probably wouldn't have gone but I got in for free with my Louvre membership, and I really wanted to see the main building of the Grand Palais (unfortunately it wasn't for the Chanel show, but it was still amazing!) I was obviously more interested in the building than the art as you can see by my pictures, but there were definitely interesting things to see. My favorite was a flower picture (how surprising) and one of Alexander McQueen (another shocker)
















There was a really pretty sunset as I was walking home...


No comments:

Post a Comment