Friday, September 3, 2010

Busy Touristy Days!

Sorry for the long pause in updates - its seriously been so hard to take the time to write because we’ve been doing so much! The last few days we’ve been the ultimate tourists - although as I sit down to write this, I’m having total memory loss as to what we’ve actually done! Luckily we took a gagillion pictures...

Le Marais was awesome. Its such a great place to shop, people watch and eat - I had the best falafel ever! I’ve read about L’as Du Falafel on David Leibowitz’s blog (http://www.davidlebovitz.com/) and was really excited to try it. It definitely lived up to expectations. I’m still not sure what was in it, just some delicious combination of pita, fried chickpeas (maybe), cabbage, eggplant, spices, and sauce. I already can’t wait to go back. After we went to a really cool store called COS. I don’t entirely know its story but I think its like a higher end H&M. I definitely love it and got some dresses, but Matt left empty handed (maybe because he skipped the falafel high).

That same night we took a bottle of champagne to the Pont Neuf, but it was freezing and so windy outside! I had to buy a scarf to tie around my ears (not such a great look but so essential) and then we went window shopping by the Louvre - only to get caught in a flash rain storm. We were waiting to cross the street and it started to pour, so ducked under an awning and tried to wait it out, but eventually had to run to the nearest Metro and took it home.

The next day was a lot nicer, and we walked from the Grand Palais down the Champs Elysees and to the Eiffel Tower. We stopped for dinner at a cafe I had read about close to the Eiffel Tower called Le Cafe du Marche, and it was amazing. It was kind of out of the way and seemed very authentic Parisian, which was a nice break from the super commercial places we had just visited. We weren’t entirely sure what we ordered but it was delicious, and was followed by a trip up the Eiffel Tower! We went at the perfect time just before and during sunset. I even made it up to the top without much fear - I think the elevators helped. The only disappointing part was that our wine was confiscated! It was tucked away in my bag and we weren’t even planning on drinking it, but apparently they don’t allow glass.

In the morning, we went on a little tour organized by Paris Greeter (http://www.parisiendunjour.fr/). Its basically an organization who matches tourists with a local volunteer, with the mission to break the stereotype that Parisians are cold, snobby, etc. We met Laurence, a super nice older woman who showed us around a market and park in the south of the city. She was just so nice and really excited to talk to us. It was definitely worth it, if just for the places she recommended and the experience of being somewhere that we probably would not have gone.

The last couple of days have been filled with walking places and seeing amazing things, including the Jardin du Luxembourg, walking St. Germain des Pres, Notre Dame, and the Musee de L’Orangerie. Obviously everything is worth seeing, but the Orangerie was my favorite. Monet’s Water Lillies are amazing in real life. They are so impressive in a room filled with natural light and the space to appreciate their size. There was also a basement filled with paintings by Degas, Picasso, Modigliani and so many others. I’m excited to spend some more time there - Matt really likes museums too, but I like to linger a little (or a lot) longer, so I’ll be back for sure.

Anyway, hopefully this fulfills the requests I’ve had for a new entry (mostly just my mom!) I’ve put some pictures too. Maybe they’ll help fill in the gaps. We’re going for a night wander and to get some pastries from the bakery downstairs - at least hopefully, they were sold out yesterday!



So Rainy!







Dreaming of a Chanel show at the Grand Palais...






Eiffel Tower...









Walking with Laurence (this is unfortunately the only picture we took)


Jardin du Luxembourg



Matt's new favorite pastime is chasing the pigeons away...


I just realized how many self portraits there are. I generally get really annoyed with them, but what else are you suppose to do? You'll have to endure them for now...




Monet!



Matt brought his Stampede shirt to Paris, naturally


On a boat cruise...

No comments:

Post a Comment