Friday, September 17, 2010

Class, Quiche and Cacharel

I’m done my first week of French class - It isn’t as nearly as difficult as anticipated, which is great for maintaining the holiday-vibe I’m enjoying and I may even be learning something. I understand everything being said (a highly unusual feeling here), can do my written homework, and can actually ask/respond in French! If nothing else, its definitely increasing my confidence and I totally appreciate the opportunity to practice. I’ve even noticed that I’m more willing to speak in the real French world (although a nice smile and plenty of “merci’s” seems to get me what I want anyway.) I’m hoping next week will be a little more challenging, but so far its been pretty good.

I was off on Wednesday and went to Forum des Halles. I went out of curiousity because everything I’ve read about it says its an absolute nightmare - which I can now confirm. Its a huge, weird underground metro station/shopping mall. Everything is concrete with low ceilings and its impossible to know what direction you’re going. Although, despite it being ugly and confusing, I did find some good shopping. I got a few dresses from a place called ‘we’ - I’ve never heard about it before, but its H&M-esque. And, speaking of, the H&M was really good but too busy so I left without anything. I’m also not so keen on shopping at H&M because I can do that at home!

Also, as I was making a triumphant escape from the concrete jungle, I found a place packed with cool street vendors - tons of shoes and clothes and unique things. I got a pair of boots and then went to La Boulangerie Julien. It had been on my list of places to eat (yes, I have a specific list for bakeries) but I just found it by chance. Luckily I was hungry and got some quiche to-go and a pain au chocolat. I took them to a nearby park, listened to my ipod, and ate for about an hour. (This sounds gross on second read, but I’m usually a slow eater anyway and was just particularly so this time.) Needless to say, they were both amazing.

Today I indulged in something different but equally as incredible - fashion! I got a membership to the Musee des Arts Decoratifs and made my first visit. I don’t know that much about it, but it seems this museum primarily covers fashion and all elements of interior design. One of the exhibits they have now is the History of Contemporary Fashion: 1970s and 80s. This is definitely not my most favorite period, but it was still amazing to go to. I was mostly struck by how beautifully everything was displayed - a vignette per designer with interesting descriptions and layered with projected fashion shows! I wish the clothes weren’t behind glass because you don’t see them as well, but it was obviously still amazing. Some highlights included YSL’s 1971 controversial 40s-inspired collection, Cacharel florals, Karl Lagerfeld for Chloe patterned dresses, Madame Gres grecian gowns (a new found love!), Issey Miyake, Commes des Garcons, Karl Lagerfeld for Chanel early days, and Christian Lacroix. A definite surprise was Thierry Mugler - so good! I’ve never been that impressed by his clothes, but in person they’re so much better. They’re like intricate costumes which seem at home in a museum (even more so sans the 80s hair). It was worth the risk taking pictures, although they didn’t out very clearly.

Also exciting about this exhibition, there’s a follow up for the 90s and 2000s! I think it starts in November and you can bet I’ll be there! I’m already imagining the Alexander McQueen and Marc Jacobs...

So, there are actually quite a few pictures from the fashion exhibit, despite the no-camera policy - I was pretty sneaky and didn't get caught until the end! Sorry if you're not interested (ahem, brother Daniel) but I'm hoping maybe they'll provide a glimpse into why I am (texture, craftsmanship, color, shape, overall prettiness).




Love the leather against the softness


Cacharel



Madame Gres


Lagerfeld for Chloe


Thierry Mugler!







Two of my favorites (red is Chanel, white/multicolor is Christian Lacroix)




Christian Lacroix


The top of the museum (its in the very north west part of the Louvre) has incredible views of the city, but the windows were really dirty so only a few pictures turned out! There was also a really cute, really random ceramic dog in a niche by the window.







Quiche...

No comments:

Post a Comment