Monday, September 27, 2010

Getting Better... just in time for Paris Fashion Week!

So, I finally have some time to write but nothing to write about! I’ve had the worst cold and was not up to doing anything this weekend. I stayed in bed, drank tea, read, and caught up on TV premieres on Itunes (very exciting for me because I haven’t been able to watch english TV, but not so great for my Dad’s Itunes account... Thanks, Dad!) My new favorite, Modern Family, has definitely maintained its hilarity and Gossip Girl was filmed in Paris! Actually, the very street I’m living on was mentioned, but not in the most flattering way... Blair, the most elitist of the bunch, wanted to prove she could socialize with ‘the proletariat’ so she made a gesture of getting a kebab on rue de la Huchette. I thought it was pretty funny and can definitely appreciate the sentiment - this particular area is not known for its Michelin stars or super glam crowd. However, despite Gossip Girl’s opinion, I still think its pretty charming and am growing to love it dearly.

One definite plus of this neighbourhood is that its always busy. My street is never completely empty - the late night party goers swap with the early morning baking crew who swap with a midday crowd of tourists. I’m sure this would be a nightmare for some people, but it has a nice energy and makes me feel safe. It also turns the most uneventful of days into something interesting...

On Saturday, I went to the pharmacy (literally across the road) and came face to face with the Paris Techno Parade! I’m so surprised I didn’t hear it more clearly from my apartment because it was loud! There was a never ending stream of trucks with different DJs and humungous speakers, which was accompanied by double decker party buses, hoards upon hoards of people, and the requisite police presence. The pharmacy wasn’t closed thankfully, but Starbucks wasn’t letting anyone in (even a sick girl in search of tea) and I could only get into Monoprix after a bag search! I had no idea what was going on at the time, but, after some google-ing, its apparently the third biggest techno parade in the world and a half million people go to it (unknowingly I was one of them!) It was a pretty big inconvenience but also seriously incredible, and such a good distraction during a sick day.

I’m feeling a ton better right now. I went to class today and was finally able to pronounce all the nasal sounds - a definite perk of being congested! In general, my pronunciation is horrible (even in English) but things are looking up... I’m going to master ‘un’, ‘en’, and ‘on’ in no time! Hopefully I can keep it up while being healthy...

I haven’t taken any pictures in the last couple of days - I only now know that I might run into a picture-worthy techno parade at any moment, so will take my camera everywhere. The next week should be interesting because Paris Fashion Week starts tomorrow! I really don’t know what to expect, although I do suspect it won’t be that exciting for mere non-fashion insiders like myself. Regardless, it feels like a mini Christmas Eve for me and I’m excited to check out the tents by the Grand Palais in the morning! My fashion scouting will be interrupted by class in the afternoon and then I’m going to a concert at Notre Dame tomorrow night. So, I can promise some interesting pictures tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment