Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Worst... Meal... Ever!

Generally the food has been amazing here. We mostly eat from the grocery store, and when we’ve gone out its been delicious - with a major exception of Sunday night dinner.

Around 6ish after a long day of walking around, we were hungry and realized the Monoprix was closed. My apartment is right in the middle of a tourist haven, surrounded by pedestrian streets lined with restaurants - So we decided to just go downstairs and eat. Most guidebooks I’ve read advise against this, saying that these places are overpriced and have bad food, but I’ve been to a few already and it was totally fine.

We looked at a couple menus and chose the one that looked best. We sat down, ordered, and waited... and waited... until about an hour later our appetizers came - Matt got a ham crepe that tasted like it had been preserved for about thirty years. I ordered mussels that were the only edible part of the meal, but it was the first time I’d had them so maybe they were gross too. By this time, we both just wanted to leave and tried to cancel our main order, but the server said it was too late (...he didn’t say it very nicely). Matt’s steak came out covered in something that tasted like sour milk - It was unquestionably the worst thing I’ve ever tasted! Mine was not much better. The chicken was covered in a congealed, lukewarm gravy-type sauce. Both came with salad and fries, but we were too disgusted to have any of it. After paying (it was still 30 euro!) we walked down the street to McDonald’s - it has never tasted better.

So, lesson learned: Prepare for the Monoprix being closed on Sundays, and know you’re taking a chance when going out to the restaurants around this area.

In other news - I’m now a card carrying member of the Louvre! I got my membership yesterday and I’m really, really excited about it. I can now go anytime to any exhibit without waiting in line, and I got a card with my picture on it!

We spent the afternoon there yesterday and it was unexpectedly entertaining. Its so nice to go without having the pressure to see the entire thing at once, and Matt’s a really good museum companion because he keeps a quick pace and doesn’t take it too seriously. We saw some incredible art (obviously) and covered all three wings but had fun doing it.






At the Louvre with my membership!








At the Church of Saint Germain des Pres


No comments:

Post a Comment