Monday, September 13, 2010

en français, s'il vous plaît

This is the first September since Kindergarten that I won’t be going back to school. It is beyond weird to me, and I’m actually a little sad about it. I’ve had a serious love for formal education since I started - all the way from reading Charlotte’s Web to writing my final Master’s policy report. I love interesting lectures, writing papers under pressure (always the procrastinator), and doing research. Being a student is when I feel most purposeful and engaged - like I actually have something meaningful to gain from participating in the process.

Although, considering I just finished school a month ago, I definitely remember the stress and hard work. The last couple of months were really challenging, so I totally appreciate the break! But I’m already getting antsy to start something new - I should’ve known it wouldn’t take long. I sense I’ll be writing some grad school applications while I’m here (Attn: UBC Sociology department!)

And actually, I did start something new today - French classes! I’m taking them through Alliance Francaise, every Monday, Tuesday and Thursday afternoon for the next five weeks. My teacher’s name is Marion and she’s super nice. There’s about fifteen other people in the class but its small enough that we get to talk pretty often.

As much as I like the class, I’m not sure its the right one for me... There was an administrative mistake that misplaced my placement test (I don’t know how this is possible because it was online) so they automatically put me in the beginner class. I recognize my French is limited, but I’ve taken class-based French up until university so I don’t think I’m a ‘very beginner’. I’ll stick it out for the first week and see how fast I do the workbook, and then maybe I’ll switch. Until then, “Je m’appelle Lindsey, je suis canadienne...”

Nothing very picture-worthy happened today, but here are some from my outings yesterday, including sculptures at the Louvre, some serious Sunday window shopping at vintage boutiques at the Palais Royale, and more Berthillon and Pierre Herme







My new favorite dress at Didier Ludot...


Chanel heaven





Some more indulgences! (I'm doing plenty of walking to work it off, fyi)

No comments:

Post a Comment